‘Tis the season for end-of-the-year lists, and we’re keeping our eyes open for the inevitable slew of “branding trends for 2021” posts. Below, you’ll find a summary of what we’re seeing across all the posts we’ve identified, followed by a list of the best 2021 branding trends posts out there.
Roundup of branding trends for 2021
- Minimalism. This is arguably the most commonly cited branding trend for 2021, mentioned by JUST Creative, Logaster, and The Drum (specifically with respect to UI). This is nothing new, but a continuation of a long-running trend in brand design. In addition to minimalism in general, related trends include “clean thin lines” and “blank space” (Logaster) as well as “flat icons and illustrations” and “simple and classic fonts” (JUST Creative).
- Geometric/basic shapes and patterns. Keeping with the idea of simplicity, this trend is called out by JUST Creative (“geometric shapes”), 99designs (“extend your brand with geometric patterns”, and Wix (“back to basic shapes (with a twist)”). Other shape/symbol trends include “bringing classic symbols back to life” (Wix) and “monograms and abbreviations” (Logaster).
- Overlapping elements/text. Again, three lists called out this trend. Logaster and JUST Creative spoke to elements or designs, while Wix mentioned overlapping text. Speaking of text, Logaster also predicts more “text destruction” (deconstruction?) and “unusual fonts.”
- Unusual arrangement. This trend was listed by Logaster and seconded by Wix, who called out “breaking the rules of composition” as a trend. Interestingly, both “asymmetry” (JUST Creative) and “visual balance” (Logaster) are also listed as trends in composition.
- Hand-drawn/rough elements. The Drum and Wix both point to a trend of hand-drawn imagery. Similarly, 99designs expects to see more brand designers “make it rough on purpose.” This trend may be a visual manifestation of “authenticity,” a trend identified by JUST Creative.
- Natural designs/imagery. JUST Creative and Wix expect to see earth tones and nature in imagery and color palettes.
- Dark mode. This trend is more specific to on-screen UI than those above, but worth pointing out that both The Drum and JUST Creative expect to see more of the “dark mode” option in applications in 2021.
Best posts for 2021 branding trends
- “15 Brand Design Trends for 2021 That Graphic Designers Need To Know,” JUST Creative Blog
- “Top 5 design trends for 2021,” The Drum
- “Logo Design Trends 2021,” Logaster (infographic)
- “9 Logo Design Trends to Look Out for in 2021,” Wix Blog
- “7 creative branding trends for 2021,” 99designs
Are you predicting any branding trends that aren’t included in these lists? Or have you seen a good list that’s not mentioned above? Leave a note in the comments.
This Best of the Web page may be updated periodically as we find new, relevant content. Please share any suggested additions in the comments section.