- About the show
- What makes How Brands Are Built unique?
- About the host
- How to listen and subscribe
- Listeners and stats
- Online and social
- Praise from around the web
- Reviews on Apple Podcasts
- Podcast artwork and logo files
ABOUT THE SHOW
How Brands Are Built is a blog and podcast where branding professionals get into the details of what they do—and more importantly, how they do it. Each season includes 9 interviews with branding experts (e.g. David Aaker, author of Building Strong Brands; Laura Ries, author of The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding; and Marty Neumeier, author of The Brand Gap), followed by one wrap-up episode (e.g., “Season two wrap-up: Five themes for brand positioning”).
- Season one is all about brand naming.
- Season two is about brand positioning.
- Season three is about brand experience.
- Timing and theme for season four is TBA.
WHAT MAKES HOW BRANDS ARE BUILT UNIQUE?
Most branding content focuses on news, opinion, or high-level theory. While other resources provide a 30,000-foot view, How Brands Are Built keeps it practical and tactical—where those interested in branding can find tips, tools, and other useful resources to help build brands.
ABOUT THE HOST
The podcast is hosted by Rob Meyerson, a San Francisco-based brand strategist. With over 15 years of experience in brand consulting, Rob’s previous roles include head of brand architecture and naming at HP, director of verbal identity at Interbrand in San Francisco, and director of strategy at FutureBrand for Southeast Asia. His client experience ranges from the Fortune 500 to Silicon Valley startups, and from San Francisco to Shanghai, including brands such as Flex, GE, J.D. Power, Disney, and Intel. Rob’s specialties include brand strategy and positioning, naming, messaging, and brand architecture. His articles about brand strategy and naming have been published in Branding Strategy Insider, Business Insider, Guardian, TechCrunch, and VentureBeat, among others.
HOW TO LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE
- On the site: Find every episode on the podcast page.
- Apple Podcasts: Launch iTunes, then click “Subscribe.”
- SoundCloud: Visit SoundCloud. Click “Follow.” Registration required.
- Stitcher: Visit Stitcher.
- Spotify: Visit Spotify. Free signup required.
- YouTube: Visit YouTube.
LISTENERS AND STATS
As of early 2020:
- 30 ratings on Apple Podcasts, with an average of 4.9 stars
- Top 20 marketing podcast in United States and 18 other countries, such as Great Britain, Australia, Germany, Singapore, Switzerland; top 5 in eight of those countries (according to Chartable)
- Website visitors from 166 countries, including the U.S., India, U.K., France, Australia, Singapore, Germany, Canada, Italy, Netherlands, Indonesia, Philippines, Brazil, Spain, Denmark, and South Africa
- Social media following of 8,200+ across Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook, and YouTube
- Growing list of subscribers to monthly newsletter
ONLINE AND SOCIAL
- Website: https://howbrandsarebuilt.com/
- Email: contact [at] howbrandsarebuilt.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/howbrandsarebuilt/
- Twitter: @howbrands
- Instagram: @howbrandsarebuilt
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/howbrandsarebuilt/
PRAISE FROM AROUND THE WEB
|One of Feedspot’s “Top 15 Branding Podcasts You Must Follow in 2020”||Feedspot|
|“A great show full of valuable branding nuggets.”||Stef Hamerlinck, host of the Let’s talk branding podcast|
|“As with past seasons of Rob Meyerson’s podcast, we recommend listening to every episode.”||Jove Agency|
|“Learn the secrets of namers in this fascinating new podcast.”||American Name Society|
|“I absolutely love your podcast, I have learnt so much.”||Dr Malgorzata Drewniok (@Vampirelinguist on Twitter)|
|“Ooooh, I can’t wait! One of my favorite podcast hosts with one of my favorite brand thinkers [Denise Lee Yohn]!”||Lindsay Pedersen (@lindsaycpederse on Twitter)|
|“I have almost listened to all of your podcasts now and love it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.”||Michael Devor (@micdevor on Twitter)|
|“I love what you're doing with the podcast! A great resource for branding practitioners 👌”||Laura Busche, PhD (@laurabusche on Twitter)|
|“Totally digging the podcast. Incredibly informative!”||M Dean ‘Mick’ Jones (@mdeanjonesnet on Twitter)|
|“I'm slightly obsessed with your podcast … Keep up the incredible work!”||Dan Woodruff, Creative Director at Chewy|
|“Congrats, Rob!! Keep up the great work! … LOVED season 2!!!”||Nicole Foley, Creative Strategist at Intersect|
|"A quick note to say that I am thoroughly enjoying your podcast. Have been picking my way through the library. ... You are doing a service for all the practitioners out there. A nice balance to some of the more philosophical alternatives out there."||Michael Wintrob, Chief Strategy Officer at LPK|
REVIEWS ON APPLE PODCASTS
|“Jammed with golden nuggets every time. … [I] always come away feeling smarter and holding a fresh perspective.”||Alex Pedersen|
|“Rob, the host, digs into the nuanced details of how established brand builders actually go about their work. His conversations include all the how and why questions listeners would likely be asking of each guest at just the right times.”||Ralston Vaz|
|“It’s like a master class for branding.”||Miriam and Josh|
|“I am really enjoying the comprehensive perspective that How Brands are Built presents … I feel like this series fills a gap in this area.”||Creativellie|
|“Excellent series for branding professionals and general marketers interested in tradecraft. Rob Meyerson has been around, so he gets great experts and knows what to ask them.”||Nicodemus Name|
|“Informative, clever, & entertaining.”||AMD949|
|“Full of actionable advice readily understandable for neophytes and practitioners alike. … A must for anyone interested in branding and naming.”||Pg1345789|
|“HBAB is the podcast I dreamed someone would make.”||HT_Probably (Canada)|
|“I’ve been waiting for a branding podcast like this for such a long time. Loving the format, the interview style and the insights into the processes of other creatives. I’m awaiting new episodes with more anticipation than the next Game of Thrones series."||Nomibug79 (Australia)|
|"A smart podcast designed to delight practitioners of brand building. Great selection of diverse voices from the industry deliver a variety of experiences, tools, and stories. Rob’s focus on the concrete elements of the discipline serves as a nice balance to other brand-focused pods that bring a more philosophical or conversational approach."||MWintrob|
|"This an excellent podcast for anyone interested in branding - not just specialists and students, but also people from outside the industry and academics from others fields. Rob’s interviews are engaging and very accessible. Highly recommended!"||gosh35 (Great Britain)|
PODCAST ARTWORK AND LOGO FILES